Remarkably, the word “free” is still considered one of the most powerful words in the English language. Who doesn’t want free stuff? So even though the phrase “There’s no such thing as a free lunch” has been around for nearly a century, we’re still drawn in by that one simple word. But is free always better?
Buyers have become wary of promises that seem too good to be true. We’ve learned to check for the caveat: Search for an asterisk, discover the fine print, and ask what “eligible accounts” and “conditions apply” really means. If you’re making decisions on behalf of a company, this due diligence is even more vital. You can’t afford to sacrifice speed and performance just to save a few bucks – the stakes are too high. A free migration tool may seem like a no-brainer, but let’s take look under the hood.
What you get with free
Cloud providers will often throw in migration services when a company is switching to them from another platform. This makes sense, because helping the account move means they can begin realizing revenue sooner. Taking advantage of this free service may be the right solution when the project is simple or you’re moving a single workload. But it’s still important to understand what you get when you choose “free” over a purpose-built tool like MigrationWiz.
Let’s look at Microsoft’s FastTrack migration services, which are “free” for customers with eligible subscriptions. Okay, so you noticed that, too? The first thing you’ll need to do is determine if your subscription is eligible. FastTrack is available for net new users of Microsoft 365 – those who are adding Microsoft licenses. That means it would not apply to tenant-to-tenant migrations, for example. Here are other caveats you’ll want to take into account:
- FastTrack services are available only if you’ve purchased a minimum number of Microsoft licenses.
- Available scenarios are limited, even though new scenarios are expected to be added to FastTrack in the future.
- Migration services are performed by Microsoft experts, but that means the process and timetable is in their control. This hands-off approach makes it more difficult to manage end-users expectations.
- You’ll get a general timetable for your migration, but active status monitoring and moment-by-moment progress won’t be available during a FastTrack migration.
- When you hand over control, your migration could be processed in any Microsoft datacenter – anywhere in the world. This means you won’t be able to have a preference for region if this is important to your company.
- When you calculate the value of “free,” keep in mind that your IT team or MSP will still need to put in significant hours on pre-migration, configuration, and project management.
BitTitan is a fan and partner of Microsoft 365, Teams, and Azure. MigrationWiz supports hundreds of migrations each year to, from, and between Microsoft tenants. That’s why we feel it’s important that you have the information you need to choose the right migration tool for your situation. MigrationWiz is a full-featured solution regardless of the size of your project, your Source, or your Destination.
Control your migration strategy and timing
There’s another saying to keep in mind when comparing “free” with a robust, specialized tool like MigrationWiz: “You get what you pay for.” At BitTitan we’re actually committed to giving you more than what you pay for – because we want MigrationWiz to be your go-to migration tool now and in the future. Our affordable licenses are just the start. You’ll always have access to free videos, step-by-step guides, and toolkits that help you build your expertise – and they really are free. Our customer service team is also available to make sure every project is a success.
With MigrationWiz you’ll have full control over your migration so you can determine what you want to move and when. You’ll decide where the data is going and how it will be structured. And you’ll be able to monitor the migration in-progress so you’re the first to know about any issues that will impact timing.
To read more about how “free” migration tools stack up to MigrationWiz, check out our white paper: Migration Tools: Comparing Free vs. Paid Solutions.
Have you got a migration on the horizon? Learn about our licenses here.